ss_blog_claim=4a841906c2e7a6314a227bbdb4cc8079
Powered by Blogger.

Hoarse Voice

>> Tuesday, February 24, 2009

My poor throat is hurting right now. As much as I want to stay up and do my blog duties such as visiting some friends and writing some posts etc., I need to get some rest now so that tomorrow this will not get any worse.

I do not know what happened but around noon today my voice was starting to be a little funny. And now, I have a full-fledged "bedroom" voice!

As you all know, I am a homebased online English teacher among other things. It was hard teaching today. My voice kept cracking up or would just fade away. Good thing my students did not really notice because I tried hard not to make it obvious. If I do not get some rest now and try to treat this, I might have no more voice by the time I wake up.

I do not exactly do all these at the same time but I have tried it at least once in my life. These are just some of the home remedies that were passed on to me by my parents, aunts, relatives and friends. There are no approved therapeutic claims to these remedies but will definitely mention what worked for me. One more thing, don't worry these are all safe since I have done them myself and I am still okay and writing you right now.

Home Remedies for a Hoarse Voice/ Sore Throat:
  1. After waking up in the morning, gargle with lukewarm water that has dissolved salt in it. - This is not exactly my favorite since it's salty but it helps relieve the soreness from my throat. It's suppose to "wash" away the bacteria or something like that.
  2. Drink ginger ale or ginger tea. - Personally, I love ginger because it has so many uses when you feel a little sick so I always have this handy at home. I just cut off a little ginger, peel and pound it, and drop it in boiling water until its juice comes out. That's the ginger tea I drink. I add a little honey or brown sugar to counter the strong ginger taste. This is very soothing and works for me. Great for colds and cough too.
  3. Take a spoonful of honey. - This will soothe the irritation of your throat. Most singers do this for their voice. But I am not a singer, maybe that's why I didn't work for me. Haha. I just ended up eating the honey because it was sweet.
  4. Chew on a slice of ginger or suck the juice straight from a "calamansi". - I tried this but will not do it again because the taste of the ginger and calamansi are too strong for me to handle. By the way, calamansi is the Philippine's version of a lemon or lime but it's sourness is much stronger than the two mentioned.
  5. Drink warm calamansi juice. - I also drink this when I have colds. Great source for Vitamin C. Squeeze the juice from a calamansi onto a glass of water.
  6. Drink plenty of water. - This will moisten your dry and sore throat. Instant relief for me but not really a cure. Maybe after drinking for awhile it might help.
  7. Get some rest. - The wonders of getting enough rest, it will cure any ailment we are feeling since our bodies will have time to recharge and repair itself.
  8. Do not drink or eat anything cold. - Unless you want your voice to disappear immediately, avoid anything cold.

Do you have any home remedies that you think can help me and my sore throat/ hoarse voice?

Here are some suggested reading on this topic that I found earlier: How to Prevent and Heal a Hoarse Voice, Laryngitis, and Cure for Hoarse Voice.

11 comments:

Anonymous February 24, 2009 at 3:07 PM  

hello Mommy Kris..thanks for the comments..much appreciated..good to know that Roberta like watching 3d movies too.

Oh no...I hope you are getting better Mommy Kris....what I usually use when I have a hoarse voice...I gurgle with salt water....then cough drops...hehhehe!

Mush appreciated your time....:) pahinga ka muna...hehhehe!

Anonymous February 24, 2009 at 6:47 PM  

Ugh, I'm nursing a sore throat, too. You hit most of the legitimate remedies I know, great list. Feel better.

S-H-Y February 24, 2009 at 7:13 PM  

hhhmm you better rest girl so that you be better.. The other day I have sore throat but good to know it´s better because my mother in law gave me medicine..

Anonymous February 25, 2009 at 5:20 AM  

Good tips. My hubby is occasionally losing his voice because he is a teacher(yelling at kids, singing, etc.) so these might come in handy. Hope you feel better now.

HiPnCooLMoMMa February 25, 2009 at 7:42 AM  

i gargle the juice extracted from kamias. been doing this since i was a young girl,it helps.

hope you feel better now Kris

Anonymous February 25, 2009 at 1:06 PM  

aww,get well soon,Kris!yan ang puhunan natin sa work,our sulky-charming(bedroom) voice,haha!

yep,don`t stay up so late at night. :)

Anonymous February 25, 2009 at 3:30 PM  

you need some rest pretty girl!!! Have a great day!

Anonymous February 26, 2009 at 12:47 AM  

Hi Kris, I have something for u again;
http://fliploveusa.typepad.com/a_filipino_immigrants_lov/2009/02/gratefulness-towards-other-bloggers.html

TidyMom February 26, 2009 at 1:35 AM  

I have to tell you the warm salt water gargle is THE best thing!! I have ALWAYS preached this to my family and it DOES work.
I can't tell you how many times we were at the doctor with strep throat and the doctor was amazed that my girls were not in more pain by the looks of their throats - when I would tell him they were religiously gargling with warm salt water he said "well that explains it!! I try and tell people to do that all the time, most wont bother to do it"

I also use it any time we have a mouth sore - burnt mouth, bitten tounge, sore tooth - it works!!

Feel better!
~TidyMom

Dee February 26, 2009 at 1:08 PM  

I have tried some of these and it does work, especially #1.

I hope you're okay now. Rest would really help too. Take care. :D

By the way, did you check out the link I gave? Have you tried it? How did it go? :D

Kris February 26, 2009 at 8:13 PM  

@dhemz, Heather, SHY, bingkee, ghee, Pretty Life Online, HipnCollMomma, TidyMom & Dee - Thank you for the comments and sweet concerns! Hugs to you guys! Feeling better now but not exactly 100% yet.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Advertise on blogs

WORK AT HOME MOM REVOLUTION

MOMMY WORKS ONLINE

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP