ss_blog_claim=4a841906c2e7a6314a227bbdb4cc8079
Powered by Blogger.

DIY Manicure and Pedicure

>> Monday, February 9, 2009


Last Saturday, I gave myself a reward after such a busy week. What a perfect way to pamper yourself than having a manicure and pedicure at your favorite salon! Don't you agree with me?

You just sit back, relax and let someone else do the work. That's the magic phrase, "someone else do the work". Hahaha. After several minutes, your hands and feet look like a million bucks. You just want to go out and flaunt it.

I am lucky that I have convenient access to such wonderful service. My favorite salon is just a few minutes walk from my house. Which means, I can have my nails done at least once or twice a month and at a very affordable price. But not all might have the same luck as me. Or, there maybe times that we are just too busy to go out of our way for this and the next best option is to do it ourselves. This happens to me too.

Here is a basic guide on how you can give yourself a manicure and pedicure at home:

What You Need:
  • cotton balls
  • nail polish remover
  • cuticle remover
  • cuticle stick/ pusher
  • nail brush
  • emery board/ nail file
  • nail trimmer/nail cutter
  • nail polish for base and top coat - clear polish
  • nail polish - color of your choice
  • hand towel

Let's Get Started:
  1. Remove old nail polish from your toes and fingers with nail polish remover and a cotton ball. Make sure you take out all traces of nail polish from your nails. Do not oversoak with nail polish remover because it can dry out your nails. Wash your hands and feet with soap and water to remove the excess remover. Pat dry with a handtowel.
  2. Apply cuticle remover with a cotton ball on the nails and cuticles to soften it. Use a cuticle stick/pusher to push down the cuticles gently and take out any traces of nail polish on the nails. Also, use the cuticle stick/ pusher to clean under the nails any dirt. Dab again some cuticle remover on nails and cuticles and use the nail brush to gently brush off any excess.
  3. Trim fingernails and toenails carefully using a nail trimmer/ nail cutter. Nails should be trimmed straight across just above the tip. Do not cut toenails too short because this will increase the chances of having ingrown toenails.
  4. File, smooth and shape the nails using an emery board/ nail file. With light strokes, smoothen the edges of the nails and keep doing so until the desired shape and length of the nail is achieved.
  5. Exfoliate hands and feet with a hand or foot scrub. Rub and massage gently on hands and feet to take away dead skin cells. Use pumice stone if needed to buff away callouses and rough areas on feet. Wash off off with soapy water and towel dry.
  6. Apply a moisturizer such as a hand or foot cream to smoothen and heal cracked rough dry skin. Before applying nail polish, remove any excess moisturizer.
  7. Apply nail polish in layers and let it dry in between coats. The minimum standard is four coats: one coat of base color usually a clear polish, two coats of colored polish, and one top coat also a clear polish to add luster and shine to the polished nails. Give some time for the polish to dry to avoid smudging it.
Do you have any tips, secrets, or advice on how to have gorgeous looking tips and toes?

12 comments:

TidyMom February 9, 2009 at 2:06 AM  

I have acrylics - I get the permanent french tips - which means they use pink acrylic and white acrylic - so polish is need, other than some topcoat for shine -- this way my nails never look chipped up or bad!! I LOVE it - it cost just a little more than regular acrylics, but it's worth it to have them look nice all the time.

If you look at my frame tutorial you can see mine in some of the pictures - and I was due for a fill - I hand't had my nails done in almost a month i those pictures
http://tidymomof2.blogspot.com/2009/01/mod-podge-frame-tutorial.html

~TidyMom

PS - I've almost got that post ready about Twhirl - I'm uploading a video as I type!! - should be up today or tomorrow!

Anonymous February 9, 2009 at 5:39 AM  

That's why I love staying in the Philippines. With all the affordable services you won't feel guilty. Unlike here you have to spend more than $50+++tip it's just not practical if you get this twice a week that''s why I do my own pedi and mani hehehe...

Anonymous February 9, 2009 at 7:33 AM  

yeah,i cant agree more!thats what im missing!

iba pa rin sa pinas,dito they dont polish or take the cuticles.pero super sa nail art!

btw,thanx again for the award and i posted it already :)

happy monday,kris!

Prettymom February 9, 2009 at 9:59 AM  

sometimes i do my manicure and pedicure but if i want to pamper my self i go to salon but that's often happen. hehehe..

Dee February 9, 2009 at 10:38 AM  

Oh, thanks for this.:) I've really been planning to do pedicure and manicure by myself. I want to save a few bucks. I've seen others do it really neat! I hope I can do the same. Thanks for this again. :)

Kris February 9, 2009 at 9:00 PM  

Hi TidyMom! I saw your nails and they look like they were professionally done! The French tips look great =)

TidyMom February 9, 2009 at 9:24 PM  

I just re-read my comment, I meant to say NO POLISH is needed!! That's what's great about the permanent french acrylics

~TidyMom

Dee February 9, 2009 at 10:48 PM  

oh this is very helpful! I'm going to bookmark it! Its been a while since I've done my nails! :)

HiPnCooLMoMMa February 10, 2009 at 7:50 AM  

i mostly do DIY stuff, DIY manicure and pedicure is not new to me, i can even do nail art ^_^

Kris February 12, 2009 at 12:03 AM  

@jetty, ghee & prettymom - i know what you mean!! pampering yourself here in Philippines is so much more practical than anywhere else! and the service is great too! =)

Kris February 12, 2009 at 12:17 AM  

@Dee & Dee - like you, i've been wanting to know how i can mani-pedi myself perfectly. i'm happy my post helped you in a way. here's to our nails!! =)

Kris February 12, 2009 at 12:21 AM  

@hipncoolmomma - you're too talented in the beauty department tita girlie! do share your secret! hehe

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Advertise on blogs

WORK AT HOME MOM REVOLUTION

MOMMY WORKS ONLINE

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP