ss_blog_claim=4a841906c2e7a6314a227bbdb4cc8079
Powered by Blogger.

I am a WAHM

>> Friday, January 16, 2009


I never though that it would actually be fulfilling and satisfying to be a WAHM (Work At Home Mom). I did not even know that there was such a word or should I say acronym. When I first heard it, flashbacks of the popular ‘80s pop band that George Michael belonged to who sang “Wake Me Up Before You Go Go” came to mind but I soon realized that it was spelled differently – WHAM. Hehe =)

After doing some research online (thanks to Wikipedia and Google Search) and reading articles about it, I have come to my own understanding of the word. WAHM describes a new generation of mothers who are striking a balance between family life, parenting and earning a living all in the comfort of their home.

This new title or should I say concept is not very popular yet in the Philippine society who is accustomed to the mentality of branding. To a majority of the Filipinos, your career success as an individual is based on the company that you work for (how popular and how big is it in the business sector), the job title that you get with it (the flashier sounding, the better) and where your office is located.

Even though the amount of salary may matter to most, it may not weigh as much in value as the previous items mentioned not to include the other perks and benefits of the job such as travel, company car or free gym membership etc. This ideal may work for the fresh graduates who are still hungry to prove themselves to their parents and the world as well as wanting to have their chance to be part of the highly competitive corporate world. But it is no longer true for the individuals who have been part of the “rat race” and want something different.

I guess you can say that this is what happened to me. Though it definitely was not an overnight decision. But one thing was for sure ever since I started working at home I did not want to leave the house again. Why should I? I was "Home Sweet Home."

9 comments:

marie January 16, 2009 at 10:20 AM  

Nice entry dear. This will somehow give light to mom's having double thoughts of whether just to stay at home or work outside the home with having to somehow abandon (?) or give less time to kids.

marie January 16, 2009 at 10:20 AM  

moms I mean

Kris January 16, 2009 at 10:55 PM  

thank you tita marie..I will do what I can to share from experience =)

Anonymous January 17, 2009 at 11:49 AM  

I love being a SAHM, it's nice to be always there when the family needs you. There's actually more to it and it's fulfilling!

Kris January 20, 2009 at 8:56 PM  

that's right tita girlie =) it's a nice feeling when you are the one taking care of your own family...

Anonymous January 23, 2009 at 10:20 PM  

interesting!!i used to be a WAHM for 7 years!!i had my own english classroom at home.

now,I think Im ready to be a WAHM again! :)

really nice to meet u online,Kris :)

Kris January 23, 2009 at 10:25 PM  

ghee, my pleasure to meet you too :)

wow 7 years!..i'm sure you'll adjust to being a WAHM again real quick.

Anonymous January 27, 2009 at 11:13 AM  

i agree with you; its the younger people who want to prove themselves in the corporate world ;-)

Kris January 28, 2009 at 10:59 PM  

you got that right caryn :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Advertise on blogs

WORK AT HOME MOM REVOLUTION

MOMMY WORKS ONLINE

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP